Proposed Macroscopic Test of the Physical Relevance of Bell's Theorem

Foundations of physics and/or philosophy of physics, and in particular, posts on unresolved or controversial issues
Joy Christian
Research Physicist

Proposed Macroscopic Test of the Physical Relevance of Bell's Theorem

Post by Joy Christian »

This month brings the fifteenth anniversary of my disproof of Bell's theorem and the tenth anniversary of the first edition of my book on the subject. To celebrate the dual anniversary, I have slightly updated my proposed experiment to test the quaternionic 3-sphere model on which my disproof of Bell's theorem is based. The original paper (published in 2015) in which the experiment is proposed can be found here. Unfortunately, this paper is behind a paywall. But I have summarized the experiment in the following updated preprint on ReserachGate: http://dx.doi.org/10.13140/RG.2.2.10813.54248:

The abstract reads:
Abstract: A macroscopic experiment capable of detecting a signature of spinorial sign changes is discussed. If realized, it would determine whether Bell inequalities are satisfied for a manifestly local, classical system. By providing an explicitly local-realistic derivation of the EPR-Bohm type spin correlations, it is demonstrated why Bell inequalities must be violated even in such a manifestly local, macroscopic domain, just as strongly as they are in the microscopic domain. The proposed experiment has the potential to transform our understanding of the relationship between classical and quantum physics.
Bell's theorem has been dead for at least fifteen years. But the physics community will not accept its demise until my proposed experiment is carried out.
gill1109
Mathematical Statistician

Re: Proposed Macroscopic Test of the Physical Relevance of Bell's Theorem

Post by gill1109 »

Joy Christian wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:31 am .
This month brings the fifteenth anniversary of my disproof of Bell's theorem and the tenth anniversary of the first edition of my book on the subject. To celebrate the dual anniversary, I have slightly updated my proposed experiment to test the quaternionic 3-sphere model on which my disproof of Bell's theorem is based. The original paper (published in 2015) in which the experiment is proposed can be found here. Unfortunately, this paper is behind a paywall. But I have summarized the experiment in the following updated preprint on ReserachGate: http://dx.doi.org/10.13140/RG.2.2.10813.54248:

The abstract reads:
Abstract: A macroscopic experiment capable of detecting a signature of spinorial sign changes is discussed. If realized, it would determine whether Bell inequalities are satisfied for a manifestly local, classical system. By providing an explicitly local-realistic derivation of the EPR-Bohm type spin correlations, it is demonstrated why Bell inequalities must be violated even in such a manifestly local, macroscopic domain, just as strongly as they are in the microscopic domain. The proposed experiment has the potential to transform our understanding of the relationship between classical and quantum physics.
Bell's theorem has been dead for at least fifteen years. But the physics community will not accept its demise until my proposed experiment is carried out.
I hope the acceptance (or not) of its demise will depend on the outcome of the experiment?

If the experiment could, in principle, go either way, then we are talking about physics. But if it can only go one way we are talking about mathematics.
Joy Christian
Research Physicist

Post by Joy Christian »

gill1109 wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:48 am
I hope the acceptance (or not) of its demise will depend on the outcome of the experiment?

If the experiment could, in principle, go either way, then we are talking about physics. But if it can only go one way we are talking about mathematics.
Indeed. The mathematics of the quaternionic 3-sphere already tells us that for any pair of settings such as {a, b}, the correlations observed in my proposed experiment will be E(a, b) = -a.b. Consequently, for four pairs of settings, the Bell-CHSH inequalities will be violated, provided the four sets of experiments are carried out independently of each other, as usually done in the Bell-test experiments.
gill1109
Mathematical Statistician

Post by gill1109 »

Joy Christian wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:51 am

Indeed. The mathematics of the quaternionic 3-sphere already tells us that for any pair of settings such as {a, b}, the correlations observed in my proposed experiment will be E(a, b) = -a.b. Consequently, for four pairs of settings, the Bell-CHSH inequalities will be violated, provided the four sets of experiments are carried out independently of each other, as usually done in the Bell-test experiments.
Usually, the four sets of experiments are not carried out independently of each other. Settings are chosen at random while the particles are in flight, again and again.
Joy Christian
Research Physicist

Post by Joy Christian »

gill1109 wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:40 pm
Joy Christian wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:51 am

Usually, the four sets of experiments are not carried out independently of each other. Settings are chosen at random while the particles are in flight, again and again.
In my proposed experiment, settings are not chosen at all before the data is collected, which involves measuring actual spin angular momenta for up to one million trials. Therefore settings need not be chosen for years until someone wants to analyze the data. Thus my proposed experiment is not a typical Bell-test experiment. The purpose of the experiment is to compute correlations between actual spin angular momenta by post-selecting the settings, not data.

PS: BTW, the iconic Nobel Laureate experimentalist David Wineland once told me in a private communication that my proposed experiment is "doable."